[prog] expanding CVS keywords into multi-line strings

Katie Bechtold katie at hoteldetective.org
Thu Jun 1 04:57:31 EST 2006

One of the projects I'm working on is written in C++ and uses CVS
for version control.  One of its command-line options is supposed to
provide the user with information that can be provided with the CVS
keyword $Log$, but I'm having a tough time trying to get its
multi-line expansion into a string so it can be printed.

My understanding is that multi-line string literals have been
deprecated in GCC for some time.

Also, I understand (from referring to Jenn's CVS book!) that "Any
characters that prefix the [Log] keyword are also used to prefix log
lines; this enables comment markers to be included automatically."
If I were using the keyword in a comment, that'd be fine, but I want
to use it in a string.

--
Katie Bechtold         http://hoteldetective.org/