[prog] Perl DBD-ODBC remote server

Katherine Spice katherine at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 25 21:43:11 EST 2006

Hi Meryll,

> (it has been suggested to me that DBD/Informix does not have the
> capability to pull data from a remote Database - I'll assume this is true
> unless anyone tells me differently and shows me a bit of code).

This didn't sound right to me - admittedly I've not used the DBI with
DBD::Informix, but I know you can can connect to a remote server when
using MySQL, Postgres and Sybase, so I did a little looking. The module
docs are here (I've linked directly to the connection section):
http://search.cpan.org/~johnl/DBD-Informix-2005.02/Informix.pm#INFORMIX_CONNECTION_SEMANTICS
There's a line starting "Valid database names include" and below that
examples of how to connect to a database on a remote machine.

I know this isn't the answer to your actual question (as I don't know
the answer to that), but I hope it helps anyway.

Cheers,
Katherine