[prog] simple HTML form

Caroline Johnston johnston at biochemistry.ucl.ac.uk
Sun Dec 10 18:10:31 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the list :)

If you're using Perl for the back end, take a look at the CGI module on
CPAN: http://search.cpan.org/~lds/CGI.pm-3.25/CGI.pm. There's a good
tutorial at: http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/cgi_course/

If you need to generate HTML from perl, the CGI.pm module has methods to
help (generate headers, tags and stuff) or you could use a
templating system. Template Toolkit's probably the most popular one
(http://www.template-toolkit.org/docs/default/index.html).

There's also a fairly new web-framework called Catalyst that's trying to
do for Perl what Rails does for Ruby. It has plugins for useful stuff like
session management, access controls to pages etc. Total overkill for a
single form, but if you're planning to do anything more adventurous in the
way of Perl web development it might be worth having a look. The Catalyst
site is at http://www.catalystframework.org/ and there's a tutorial at
http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Catalyst-Manual-5.700501/lib/Catalyst/Manual/Tutorial.pod

Cass xx