[prog] PHP/MySQL/Apache on CD - can it be done?

Gareth Anderson Gareth.Anderson at acslink.net.au
Tue Oct 18 18:39:30 EST 2005

Hi LinuxChix,
 Just a quick / possibly hard question and a brief warning, while it will
likely have 0 effect on our mark this does relate to a group project...
 Is it possible to run a PHP/MySQL/Apache server off a CD?
 Previously I've being using:
 http://server.paehl.de/
 And I've also seen:
 http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html (much more marketing power there
:P).
 The simple server I've being using has being fantastic, I can easily copy
it accross to a new computer and MySQL re-configures its configuration files
appropriately...(and apache is also fine)
 The lecturer has being asking if we could move our entire database to CD, I
thought of burning the program I use to CD, but there would be 2 problems...
Even if we did hardcode the setup for apache/MySQL on the CD, PHP sessions
write to a "TMP" directory in the folder, and MySQL would likely need to
write to the database (unless its happy to store it in memory with a silent
error). So they would need to copy it to the hard disk and it *may* get
messy....
 I found this project exists:
 http://www.phdcc.com/dynamic-cd/
 So it could be possible, the other thing I'm considering is having it so
the CD can be copied to a hard disk and then they can start the MySQL
service and Apache from there (except sometimes it seems MySQL can be a
little tempremental :().
 Note: this doens't effect our actual submission, we have to hand in system
and user documentation. This will be to inform the lecturer of whether it is
actually possible or not and how he may wish to go about doing this....
 Regards,
Gareth
 P.S. this email is somecsstudent at gmail.com, gmail allows outgoing mail to
appear to come from another account if you own that account....