[prog] Test to identify programmers?

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Tue May 17 15:36:20 EST 2005

Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

>On Monday 16 May 2005 6:30 pm, Dan wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a test that can be given to people who have
>>never used a computer before to determine which ones would likely
>>benefit from (and enjoy) learning computer programming? I'm ideally
>>looking for a written test that can be given on a large scale.
>>

>contact yoda

Not bad advice, I consider personalty profiling to be largely
inaccurate, (despite the way its used on TV).  I would have thought
asking them if they are interested would be the best measure.  Still if
you want a test a psychologist may be the place to goto.

Personally I prefer programming to sys admin because its requires more
application of logic.  To my mind sys admin requires more inside
knowledge.  You have to know what tools are available and appropriate,
and you have to know how to use them.  With programming there is the
syntax (but I usually look that up in a book) and then there is general
principles of how to break a problem down into its logical components.

But just because that is why I enjoy programming doesn't mean that is
why other people like it.  It also means that I don't enjoy programming
with IDEs as much (you have to remember which menu to go to and which
button to press to get a certain effect).  So really you may need to be
a bit more specific about what type of programming you want to do.

Happy discriminating.

sue