[prog] Mailing list software - how does the emailing work? (mass bcc?)

Gareth Anderson somecsstudent at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:04:29 EST 2005

Hi,

As you may now know I'm taked with custom developing mailing list
software from scratch with no knowledge of how to do this and very
little guideance (an invididual project which ~12 people are doing).

Anyway, just in regard to mass-emailing a mailing list.

Sending to each email address in a big loop would appear to be very
in-efficient.

My idea is that you would make a "to" address (thats the mailing
list's address), have a reply address of possibly nothing or a
moderator email address (moderator may be a bad idea though), and you
BCC a certain number of people.

I think there are limits from when you have too higher number that you
would be considered to be spamming people. So should I BCC 30 people
at a time?
Make it configurable?

Is this how things are done?

Note: obviously I now very little about mailing lists besides using
them (and configuring a single majordomo list :)). Feel free to point
out how it should be done (I've seen gnu mailman around but did not
see documentation on how it works internally).

Thanks,
Gareth