CLIPS licence (Re: [prog] Writting a program to automatically fetch webpages, and fill in forms.)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Mar 24 14:15:50 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005, Sue Stones wrote:
> I am using CLIPS, which was developed by NASA in 1984 and is now
> maintained independently from NASA as public domain software.   What
> license, if any, it is released under is a mystery to me.

The CLIPS FAQ question #4 gives the licence:
http://www.ghg.net/clips/CLIPS-FAQ

It looks like a very free licence: they grant "rights to use, copy,
modify, merge, publish, distribute, and/or sell copies of the Software,
and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so."

Since they used "and/or", it seems that you can both modify it and
redistribute the modifications, which would make it free software.

(Note that if something is under "no licence" -- ie you can't find a
licence -- you need to assume that it's all rights reserved and that it
can be neither modified nor redistributed. That's the default.)

-Mary