[prog] Writting a program to automatically fetch webpages, and fill in forms.

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Mar 21 11:54:54 EST 2005

Sue Stones wrote:

> I want to write a program (an Expert System) that includes the
> functionality of going to web pages, using specialty search engines on
> their databases, fill in forms, receive the results.  I want to do this
> without displaying anything mostly, but with further action of the
> expert system based on the results.
>
> I have so far failed to find any information on how to do this, although
> there are lots of "form fillers" available, so presumably its quite
> possible.
>
> Do you have any ideas on how to do this, or know of any information on
> this (web links or books etc)?  WHat do I need to consider?

It depends a little on what tools you know.  Perl's LWP library and it's friends
will probably make this very easy.  In particular look at the Mechaniser library.

All the best,

    Jacinta

--
    ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
     `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |