[prog] Submitting patch files

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 14 21:46:59 EST 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005, Dan wrote:
> I intend to do it like this:
>   cvs diff path/to/file1 path/to/file2 path/to/file3
>
> I think that's what I'm supposed to do, but I wanted to ask everyone for
> criticism/suggestions, because I'm sure the developers are quite tired
> of giving them out.

That should be OK. A few things:

 1. Usually you want to be *in* the very top directory of the project
    tree, so that the developer who may be applying your patch doesn't
    have to change into an arbitary directory

 2. You can redirect it onto a patch file like this:
    cvs diff path/to/file1 path/to/file2 path/to/file3 > thepatchfile.diff
    Then just send thepatchfile.diff (give it a meaningful name)

 3. You may wish to use "cvs diff -u" rather than "cvs diff" to get what
    is called "unified diff" output. Have a look at what the difference
    is: many people find the unified output with the + signs for added
    lines and the - for removed lines surrounded by context easier to
    read.

-Mary