[prog] Sql query

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Tue Jul 12 23:27:17 EST 2005

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 01:25:28PM +0200 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Tiera thought:

> I forgot to mention that I also need to be able pick out the products that
> have a special status at the moment. I think I'll just put a status field
> in the product table also and keep that up to date with the changes in the
> period table. Seems like the easiest solution at the moment.

May seem easy now but it'll be a big headache down the line.  Any
redundant data means extra ongoing maintenance.  It would be better to get
familiar with all the complex queries you can do such as:

select * from product, period where
product.id = period.productid
and
(period.enddate is null or period.status = 'Special')

Which will allow both in one query...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)