[prog] Threading in digest mode.

Conor Daly conor.daly at cod.utvinternet.com
Fri Jan 21 01:36:57 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 01:13:14PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
||svaksha|| thought:
> hi all,
> firstly being new to Linux, i'm not sure which list i must post this
> to exactly , so feel free t repost it elsewhere.
> In GMail all mails are sorted as "conversations" (same subject) which
> we call threads.
> I noticed that in the batched Digest mode this does not happen and
> mails are batched, sent as and when received by the server.
> Question --Is it not possible for the same idea to be used in Digest
> mode too ( sort mails as per subject line/thread instead of time for a
> particular Batch and then send it ?)
> imho, it makes reading batched mails more easier :-)

It may be that you need to 'unpack' a digest message before yuo can do
such threading.  Have a look at "Telsa Gwynne's very own mail mangler" at
http://zenii.linux.org.uk/~telsa/BitsAndPieces/procmailrc
for info on procmail rules to split digests and so on.  I use a hacked
copy of this with all my incoming mail.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)