[prog] assigning variables in sh

aec brat at magma.ca
Tue Jan 11 05:38:58 EST 2005

Hello

I have a sh script that polls several servers and stores the
result in $serverfile, the file looks like this:

141.414.184.125:5156
237.215.575.155:5157
136.315.470.145:6000
xion.serve.org:5154
remaag.lidet.net:5555
showme.bomang.ca:25154
noel.sleepy.us:5165

I obtain this list with curl:

servers=" `curl -q "http://list.somelist.foo/db/?action=LIST&nameport=&"
2>/dev/null | grep 0023 | cut -f1 -d ' '`"
[ $? != 0 ] && echo " NOT okay" && echo "ERROR: unable to curl
http:////list.somelist.foo" && exit 1
echo " okay"

echo -n "... writing server list to temporary file ..."
cat > "$serverfile" <<EOF
$servers
EOF

I want to now, perform an action on each server in the list, so
I need to iterate over the list somehow and this where I not sure
what the best approach is.

I would love to end up with a set of variables, $server1 $server2
and so on.. this would make further operations later on in the
script a cinch.

Can some one give me a shove in the right direction?

Thanks.

--
Angelina Carlton