[prog] Ruby?

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Thu Nov 4 11:14:15 EST 2004

Laurel Fan wrote:
> Just curious:  Is anyone using Ruby here, or interested in learning it?
>
> More info here for anyone who hasn't heard of it:
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html

I have wanted to learn Ruby for a couple of years now, but there just
hasn't been any time for that. Back in the days when I had a job I asked
my boss if he had tried it (he hadn't).  But he thinks that languages
written by one person are often more consistent, so nicer to work with.
(I can't remember his words exactly).

I am interested in the way that it is a totally OO programming language,
and its different approach to class and types.  It seems like a whole
new way of thinking about objects classes and types. It has automatic
garbage collection which I think is essential these days. (I know thats
a small thing to make a big deal about!)

Do you have any plans or hopes in trying to learn Ruby?  That is what is
behind you question?

sue