[prog] Converting definitions into 'on the fly' code...

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri May 14 20:00:20 EST 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 23:51, Conor Daly wrote:
> On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 11:48:07PM +0100 or thereabouts, Conor Daly wrote:
> > I'll just go off and learn Python now
... snip ...

> OK, did that...
>
> I've spent the last 4 days hacking on this in an attempt to understand it
> and I think I've got it now.  Looks pretty damn good to me.  I haven't
> figured out yet how the self.equation bit works yet (it does, I just don't
> know how...).  I'm going off to present this as a sample to the project
> leader now.

You are more than welcome to ask questions.

Also, if you have not worked out how to read the index table only once (at
class initialisation time) rather than for each record, let me know.  It
should only be around a 5 line change, and pretty simple.

Lastly, did you note the change I made to allow the use of mutli-line tests
that can utilise their own variables?  It makes the system substantially more
powerful and flexible, without making it any more complex for the current
case.  (Current style tests are just prefixed with 'result = '.)

> On a side note, you've put your code in the public domain.  Can I
> subsequently incorporate that in a GPL application so that it now falls
> under the GPL?  I presume I can.

Absolutely.  You can do with it as you wish - there is not even any need for
attribution (although I would not complain).

It was meant as a code sample, and I wanted it to be able to be freely
incorporated whereever it may be useful - even in a closed source
application.  You can certainly put it in a GPL application.

I guess I could have put it under a BSD license and achieved more or less the
same effect.  But given the nature of the code I felt that putting it into
the public domain was cleaner.

Hmmm.... any license guru's out there that want to comment on the pro's and
con's of public domain vs modified BSD?

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--