[prog] Using HTTP to interact with desktop applications

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Wed May 5 10:46:07 EST 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 23:29, Douglas Hunter wrote:
>    http://people.plusthree.com/~dug/edit_over_http.html
The first thing that my mind jumps to is "great, but not
backwards-compatible" - and, unfortunately, I can't really see a
suggestion, however brilliant, to sway (for example) the behemoth that
is the IE development team. So, one thing I think it really needs is
backward-compatibility - some way of falling back to the aforementioned
horrible hacks / HTML forms rather than WYSIWYG / existing methods for
launching applets or ActiveX. If you want it to be accepted by users,
unfortunately, it can't really be an "If your browser supports blah,
click here, else click here. The first thing which pops into my head is
sending a normal page (to launch the HTML form / ActiveX control /
whatever, or at least to redirect to a page which will), with some
custom headers, plus one more - a URL from which to actually get the
content. That way, a browser which just ignores your headers would
still present a seamless (if somewhat basic) user interface to the
client, and one with extensions installed would do the funky stuff.

Unfortunately, you use content-type too, which is, I suppose, the
sensible way of going about the task, but would blow the above approach
out of the water. I'm sure you could come up with something better,
though...

Meredydd