[prog] cvs and Eclipse

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sun Mar 28 03:50:33 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 04:47, Dom Incollingo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone successfully used cvs with an external tool such as
> Eclipse (a Java IDE)?  If so, could you give me some advice?

Never used it with Eclipse, but I'm our local CVS guru.

> I'm running Eclipse on Linux, and am trying to map Eclipse to
> a cvs repository.  CVS is installed on the same computer where
> Eclipse resides, and I have created  a cvs repository called
> 'pets' on the same computer.  (Path to repository is
> /var/lib/cvsroot/pets. Ownership of cvsroot is cvs:habs, and
> ownership of repository 'pets' is dom:habs)  When I try to map
> Eclipse to the cvs repository, I enter the Host as 'localhost',
> the Repository Path as '/var/lib/cvsroot/pets', the User as 'dom',
> the password for user 'dom', and the Connection Type as 'pserver'.
> (User 'dom' is a member of group 'habs'.)  Eclipse comes back with
> an error message that says "Cannot connect to host."

It sounds like you shouldn't be having a user/permissions conflict,
directly. If you're using pserver, have you set up the 'passwd' file
in the repository's CVSROOT directory?
Instructions for that are in 'Remote Repositories' in info cvs, or
in chapter 8 of my book. (See below).

> I googled a bit, but could not find a solution to this problem.  An
> old post (on another newsgroup) suggested that the cvs server must
> be running.  Must the cvs server be 'started', as other servers
> (mySQL, for example) are started?  If so, how do you start the cvs
> server?

If you're using pserver, gserver or kserver, the CVS server must be
started. Instructions for starting the server are in chapter 8 of my
book (Essential CVS), or under 'Remote Repositories' in info cvs (which
is itself under 'Repositories'.

> I tried changing the Connection Type from 'pserver' to 'ext and
> 'extssh', but this yielded different error messages in Eclipse.  I
> also verified that the cvs repository was good by checking out files
> using cvs commands from the shell.  This worked fine.

What are the error messages?

> Does anyone know what I am doing wrong when I try to connect to cvs from Eclipse?

Chapter 9: Troubleshooting. Essential CVS. Or report back when you've
looked into setting up pserver. :)

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/