[prog] Finding the right algorithm for the job

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Tue Jul 6 02:17:25 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 15:12, Guru - wrote:

> The problem is we are to research and find our own algorithm to base the AI
> off.
>
> While I've just completed a unit on Data Structures and Algorithms and this
> did teach us a lot of useful algorithms, it was more based on the design of
> algorithms rather than using pre-existing algorithms.
>
> The problem is where do I start? Google?
>
> I'm not quite sure where or how to find an algorithm for a specific
> purpose..

I usually design my own algorithms, however I can recommend books you
should be able to find in your university library: and you can find
other books in the same section.

Knuth 'The Art of Computer Programming' has entire volumes dedicated to
algorithms.

'Design Patterns' by Gamma et al, is also a worthwhile read.

Books may be old-fashioned, but for things like algorithm design where a
book that's five years old (or twenty years old) is still good, they're
worthwhile.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/