[prog] Finding the right algorithm for the job

Guru - haunter03 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 4 15:12:20 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm a fairly new programmer, (second year computer science student).

As part of one of my units this semester we are required to create a simple
game which involves a sort of 2 man race around a circuit. (For simplicity
consider this a rectangular circuit...).

One character will be controlled by AI, and the other by a person, there
will be obstacles to avoid, and players can bounce off each other and off
objects (bouncing effect should be similar to that of pool/8-ball/snooker).

The problem is we are to research and find our own algorithm to base the AI
off.

While I've just completed a unit on Data Structures and Algorithms and this
did teach us a lot of useful algorithms, it was more based on the design of
algorithms rather than using pre-existing algorithms.

The problem is where do I start? Google?

I'm not quite sure where or how to find an algorithm for a specific
purpose..

Collegues suggested looking at other games which are similar and getting
their source code, this is one way, but I would find it easier and prefer to
find any sites that have algorithms and maybe example implentation.

If anyone has ideas, then please remember that this is a HTML based game
(javascript programmiing)  so the code has to be small and efficient, where
not expected to make a really good AI (I hope :)).

Note: The assignment is to be done in javascript...(although what I'm
looking for right now is algorithms because we don't learn the javascript
part for another month or two).

Regards,
Gareth