[prog] Book Recommendation for OOP Design

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Thu Jan 8 10:39:02 EST 2004

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 23:41, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> 	3) Many OO books these days are written for Java.  Java exists to
> 	   write huge projects in.  Writing parsers or CGIs or quick and
> 	   easy solutions in Java does not show off OO very well (in fact
> 	   it can make Java look big and clunky rather than smooth and
> 	   elegant)

I'm not sure - sometimes it just comes in *so* useful - I encountered an
application the other day that simply blew me away:

I was writing a servlet to interpret a batch of data from a MIDlet on a
mobile phone, send it on to be processed further, and report the
results. On my first test, however, with the servlet fully constructed,
I found to my horror that the emulator at least used the Chunked
transfer-encoding, which was really confusing my read routines. No
matter - with the way that the streams are handled, all I needed to do
was create an InputStream subclass which read the "real" InputStream
and handled the chunking, and I could re-use *all* my parsing code,
unaltered. If that's not the power of OO, I'm not sure what is :^)

Meredydd