[prog] Yacc - double errors (EOF detection)

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Thu Feb 12 15:06:34 EST 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 05:48 pm, Daniel. wrote:
> On the other hand, some toy languages are too simple to be worth
> using yacc for. For the language she's implementing, it's not obvious
> to me whether it'd be easier to use yacc or to just use lex and write
> the rest in C.

Of course I am only implementing this language as an exercise.  There is a
little more to it than "hello world" but it is the same general idea.

Let me phrase my question/comment about the use of Yacc a diferent way.  Can
anyof you give me any stories of instances when you have needed (or chosen)
to write a compiler, or use Lex or Yacc.

So far I have looked these languages at it "because its there", but is
learning thes tools going to be of any advantage to me.  I feel a bit like I
am asking a kindegarten question at university but I just haven't understood
their place in the whole scheeme of things.

sue