[prog] C and curly braces - question of style?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Sun Aug 22 23:52:06 EST 2004

On Aug 22, 2004, at 11:20 PM, Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> It's not about smarts.  If you pick a bracing style that does things
> markedly different from the styles your lecturer, tutor and
> demonstrators use then you will probably get confused.  At university
> (where I was often in the position of tutor and demonstrator)
> lecturers often used K&R style (type 2), tutors and demonstrators used
> either K&R or GNU style (type 1) and very, very few people used type
> 3.

And thus, you should remember that no matter what style you choose, you
will probably need to be flexible.  I've had different standards on
curly braces and spacing around round braces at each place I've worked
(or so it seems) so I've just gotten used to conforming.   I find it
really annoying that some people have such trouble adjusting, because
to me that lack of ability indicates a lack of experience coding for
anyone other than themselves.

  Terri