[prog] VSS to CVS -- looking for experiences and argumentation help

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Apr 24 21:27:51 EST 2004

On Saturday 24 April 2004 18:03, Meredydd wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 14:30, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> > Just to finish up, I will say that I have been keeping an eye on
> > Subversion
>
> Ooh, jumping-in time!
>
> In my personal experience, and that of quite a few others as well,
> Subversion is really, really, really, REALLY good. Atomic commits
> across the entire repository, ability to move files without screwing
> with the server, whole-repository versioning, attribute storage (and
> versioning!), branching and merging is a whole ton simpler (a branch?
> What's special about a branch? It's just another directory...), and you
> don't get anything like the number of annoying niggles that you get
> with CVS (can *you* remember which characters you should never include
> in a filename, cause it screws up the CVS internals - and, for that
> matter, how to fix it if you do?).
>
> All in all, I'd seriously recommend it as an alternative VCS.

Thanks for the recommendation Meredydd.

When we first started using CVS at work (around 18 months ago I think)
Subversion was still in alpha.

I have just had a closer look myself at the page I posted a link to reviewing
the different systems, and in terms of an open-source VCS with gui clients on
multiple platforms, Subversion is looking like the best option in terms of
features supported (or at least the ones I care about).  I just need to make
some time to install it and take a look.  I know there are tools to convert
the repository from CVS to Subversion.

I don't know if you (or anyone else here) uses Subversion with a Windows (gui)
client, but I would be interested to get some recommendations.  On the tigris
server there is RapidSVN (Windows and Linux) and TortoiseSVN (Windows only),
but are there any other gui clients I should know about (for either Windows
or Linux).

Cheers,

Rasjid.