[prog] APIs for dummies?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Thu Sep 18 09:08:50 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 00:08, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> For linux, there are two major graphical API's you can choose from.  ...
<snip>

Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear enough. The project is a large web
database project written in perl, with multiple functionalities.
(Display of data in various forms, content management, database search,
data editing, database control panel, etc.). I've also written some
custom applications that use the project (it's called Xina) as a basis,
but do custom things like client management, time management, etc.

What I want to do is create standard APIs that I (and other programmers)
can plug into to access the functionalities of the basic project.

Right now, I'm in the process of largely modularizing the application,
which helps, but that's not exactly what I need, I don't think. I want
to make it easy for a programmer just to, for example, access the
database display, or search, etc, by using a pre-defined API.

But I don't exactly know what APIs are, and how to define or program
them - thus, I need an API programming for dummies resource.
--
.Michelle
tech at murrain.net
http://www.murrain.net
ph:413-253-2874
cell:413-222-6350
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"Windows is not ready for the Internet" - comment on security blog