[prog] Process execution in Perl

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Thu Sep 18 13:47:34 EST 2003

I'm trying to create a sort of pipe in Perl doing this:

   open PIPE, "| cat |" or die;

(I know that there are more efficient ways of creating pipes; I'm just
doing this to play.)

When I run the program without warnings, everything works fine. When I run
the program with warnings, it displays a warning message saying "Can't open
bidirectional pipe at ...", but the program still succeeds (I can read from
and write to the pipe).

Also, the name "PIPE" isn't the problem: I can change it to "XPIPE" and the
result is exactly the same.

Does anyone know what's going on?

--
  [Larry] Wall [inventor of Perl] believes that people think about
  things in different ways, that natural languages accommodate many