[prog] CVS travails, and strategies

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Sep 18 01:53:42 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 15:46, John Clarke wrote:

> "-j -D" works similarly to "-j -j", but it reverses every change made
> since the given date, rather than between the two given revisions.
>
> > * Replace the head sandbox with sticky files as of -D some_time_ago.
>
> Yes.
>
> > * Merge the branch to the files as of -D some_time_ago.
>
> No.  -j works just the same as any other update - only on the current
> working copy.  Michelle was working on the head, so that's all that she
> changed. The branch wouldn't have changed at all.

Now we're going to get technical..

Based on the behaviour Michelle described, I was suspecting that what
she'd achieved was to have the -D run -before- the -j, so the -j ran on
what had become the current working copy - IE, the one as of the -D
date.

Yes, I wrote the book, but no, I don't know the effects of all the
combinations of parameters!

If you _know_ that what you described above is what would happen..
great. :) But can you explain what happend to Michelle's files?

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/