[prog] Java Confusions!

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Oct 30 15:13:53 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 00:46, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2003 00:08, Noir wrote:
> > I have spent about an hour at [http://java.sun.com/linux/] & now I am
> > really perplexed.
> >
> > I want to write simple Java codes & do network level programming using Java
> > & am wondering what to download.
> >
> > Seems like there are 3 options: J2SE, J2EE & J2SDK.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to the right direction?

SDK: software development kit.

EE: enterprise edition (Which always make me wonder what sort of
enterprise - and if its number is NCC1701)

SE: standard edition.

The only difference I've seen between SE and EE is that EE has some
libraries that SE doesn't.
Therefore, if you need a sockets library and SE doesn't have it, look in
the EE library docs. If EE has it and you need it, you need EE. If not,
SE will do.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/