[prog] Java Confusions!

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Wed Oct 29 08:53:51 EST 2003

As Hamster suggested, yes you need the J2SDK if you are going to do
actual programming, as opposed to just running a program written in Java
- for which the J2SE is sufficient.  And J2EE (Enterprise Edition) is
unneccessary for simple stuff, in fact there is a growing body of
opinion that it's unneccessary at all ;)

Not surprised either that java.sun.com has confused you, it always takes
me 3 times as long as it ought to to find stuff there as well.  As a
result I have lots of java.sun.com bookmarks.

One other thing of note.  In order to run any java programs, you need to
include the bin directory of where you installed java in your path.  The
usual way is to set a JAVA_HOME variable in your environment, pointing
to the directory you installed java in, and put %JAVA_HOME%/bin in your
path.  A number of very useful tools (such as ant, a jakarta.apache.org
build tool) require JAVA_HOME although it's not Officially required by
Java itself.

Rachel