[prog] Hacker's assistance needed

Yaroslav Fedevych adeveloper at ukr.net
Wed Oct 8 12:53:15 EST 2003

At my work, there's a printer. It's that damn GDI printer that's marked "Paperweight" at linuxprinting.org, but my boss doesn't want to replace it for now. It's Lexmark Z23.

I've got a driver from Lexmark. Unfortunately, the newest driver is for US (as I suspect), because no matter what paper size you feed to it, it prints everything as on Letter paper (although it's in fact rescaled on an A4). However, it sucks less, but sucks, no matter what you do.

Finally, it's got itself to work as I want - I mean, to work at all. But sometimes I have to reinstall the software, as there is no point to tweak (z33 filter simply hangs itself sometimes). What I'm looking for is: did anyone ever reverse engineered output data for Lexmark Z23 printer, in order to write something of driver or utility for it? Lexmark has libraries (object only) for Z55, but I'm unaware of it's (in)compatibility with Z23-Z33. Maybe, if I ever decrypt printer commands, the new filter or Ghostscript device will appear... Dunno. But if someone ever did it, please let me know.

I have mixed feelings about Lexmark's native drivers and libraries. They suck. I don't know how and why. And if they work, I also don't know anything about it. Printer is OK, I've sent .out files to it and it worked. It is the filter that hangs mysteriously, from time to time, like M$ Windows does.

Thanks in advance.