[prog] is this a bug with `od` ??

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Tue Nov 11 10:37:48 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:22:11 +0100, Hamster wrote:

> I've been playing round with `od` all day today, and came across a behaviour

Did I start something? :-)

> $ od -A n -tx1 file
>  20 30 38 0a
> $
>
> What I'm harping on about here is that it puts a space before the output
> when you switch off printing of the offset.

I'd consider it a bug, but one person's bug is another person's feature.

> Is that space there for a reason?

My first guess would be compatibility with od on other Unixen.  I've
just tested it on Solaris and it prints a tab between the offset and
data, and prints the tab even when the offset is disabled.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net
GPG key id: 0xD59C360F