[prog] re the difference between various types of programming languauges, oo, logic etc

Guru - haunter03 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:16:33 EST 2003

I know this list is for programming discussion only, and this post may be a
little out of line.
If it is in the wrong area of linuxchix please tell me where I would send
this post to.

My question is with regard to the different types of programming languauges,
oo, logic etc.

What's the difference? Why would you use a particular type over another? (or
learn a particular type over another for that matter :)).

I had a look for an online document but didn't find one.

I have currently learnt one language (python) which can do OO programming or
functional programming (is think that's correct....).
I am currently learning C. Which is a procedural language....
I don't fully understand the difference between a procedural and functional
programming language.....
Also what is a declarative or logic programming language (eg. prolog)..
And lisp....that's a functional language isn't it?

I'm just wondering if someone could point me to a resource which explains
the differences....

Thanks