[prog] Database programming on Linux with KDevelop

Elizabeth Barham lizzy at soggytrousers.net
Sun Mar 9 11:30:23 EST 2003

Tony writes:

> I've been asked to try out Linux development by a customer.
> Previous to this I was sorta locked into WinDoze development by the
> boss :-(
>
> I'm using KDevelop on a RH8 desktop for the time being.  So far, so
> good.
>
> However, the customer's main requirements will be database
> applications, and whereas in WinDoze, there are db tools available
> for most development environments, I can't find anything similar for
> KDevelop/Linux.
>
> I'm looking for a way to access mySql databases on a local server
> from client applications.  This implies locking abilities are needed
> as well.  Is there anything similar to ADODB?

   The closest thing to the database automated, visual tools I recall
using with C++ builder back in 1999-2000 is in glade, which is a GUI
builder but it is not an IDE. For the debian distribution, the package
name is glade-gnome-db.

   I have not used it yet, however, but the palette of visual tools
contains things like:

		Database login widget
		Database browser
		Data-bound grid
		Database designer
		Table Editor

   If you're just interested in a standard API that wraps around
connections to different vendor's database connections, there is
mysql++, which is for C++, and, to my understanding, provides a suite
of classes for accessing various vendor's database.

   Elizabeth