[prog] how to learn the basic programming

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jun 21 16:23:24 EST 2003

G'day Jeric,

Glad to see that you want to learn Python.  I am guessing from your post that
you haven't learnt any programming before is that right?

There are lots of books on python you may use any that you have access to. If
you are buying one, look for something that appeals to you. I like O'Rielly
books so I suggest the following.

Learning Python. by Mark Lutz & David Asher
Python Programming. by Mark Lutz
Links

If you prefer not to buy a book there are pleanty of online resources to use.
Here are a few places to start.

The Learning Python page
About Python
A tutorial  (http://home.rmi.net/~lutz/about-python.html)
The Python website
The O'Rielly network
HOW TO documents  (http://py-howto.sourceforge.net/)
For experienced programmers  (http://diveintopython.org/)
Daily News about Python
Python Cookbook

Downloadable Books
Dive Into Python
How to Think Like a Computer Scientist:  Learning with Python

When you have some specific questions post them to the list and people will
try and answer them.

What country do you come from? It is clear that English is not you first
language, so I should warn you that "Sir" is not an apropriate titale to
address people at LinixChix by, and it could cause offence.  This is an
community of mainly women who use these lists to help each other out, please
also remember that people answer your questions in their own time so please
realise that they don't have time to give you full lessons.

sue