[prog] How to find perl modules if CPAN doesn't know

Wolfgang Petzold petzold at villa-chaos.de
Sat Jun 14 14:48:54 EST 2003

Hello!

Jacinta recently suggested CGI::Application to me. Well, that was the easy
part. I've downloaded CGI-Application-3.1 from CPAN because this one
seemed the most recent version to me.

Configuring, making and installing will work just fine if I use my perl
5.8.0 setup. Unfortunately, in the "production" server I will want to use
it with there's only perl 5.005_03. Trying to configure the
CGI::Application package with perl 5.005_03, I get the following warning:

wpe at stubb$ /opt/bin/perl -v

This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i686-linux
[rest of message snipped]

wpe at stubb$ /opt/bin/perl Makefile.PL
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Warning: prerequisite Test::More 0 not found at (eval 1) line 220.
Writing Makefile for CGI::Application
wpe at stubb$ _

So obviously perl 5.005_03 is lacking the Test::More package. A CPAN
search for Test::More didn't return anything useful to me. (At least I
didn't see anything useful.) The Test/More.pm out of my 5.8.0 installation
says "use 5.004", so I suppose if I got one it would work with 5.005_03.
Just copying the file seemed a quick but probably very dirty way.

I guess I could ignore that warning, but I'm just in the right mood for
wanting a "clean install". Does anyone have an idea?

Wolfgang