[prog] Passing data between modules

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Jul 29 09:47:34 EST 2003

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Conor Daly wrote:
>Last time we looked at dynamic libs programs (about 8 years ago), we ended
>up with a 0.25x performance hit.  Whether that was down to inexperience or
>inherent difficulties in libs.  We've been statically linking ever since.
>It may be time to change but we'll have to learn how...

As far as I know, dynamic libraries add at least one additional level of
indirection (more, depending on the implementation).  I'd be interested to
hear if it were possible to eliminate this overhead.

But this is minor overhead with current CPU performance.  Of course, I
heard that weather processing software is extremely performance sensitive.
Even a 5% performance hit could mean a difference between running the
software for 15 hours vs. 10 hours.  But technology has changed a lot in 8
years, so I think it is time to give dynamic libs another try.  Using it
should be a lot easier today than 8 years ago.  ;-)

--jc
--
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)          jching at flex.com        wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org