[prog] APM daemon

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jul 15 11:03:29 EST 2003

[please, follow up to newchix at linuxchix.org and to S P ONLY. Do not Cc
programming at linuxchix.org in responses!]

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003, S P wrote:
> I have installed Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my computer. On boot up I get a
> message Starting up APM daemon..
>
> And the system just hangs. Is there any way I can get into the system
> & disable starting of APMd during startup. Or is there a way to
> disable it while installing Linux ?

Hi, the programming at linuxchix.org list is for questions about
programming languages, not questions about Linux in general.

I've Cc-ed my response to the newchix at linuxchix.org list, which is for
newbies, and pointed all responses there. You might like to join at
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/mailman/listinfo/newchix

Now, a possible answer:

You can normally disable APM by going into your BIOS setup. You access
your BIOS settings by doing whatever your computers tells you at startup
is the way to enter "Setup" (ie there's a message that comes up early in
startup that says something like "Press Delete to enter Setup" -- do
what it tells you).

You might have to do a bit of searching to find the APM (also known as
"Advanced Power Management") setting, but try setting it to "Off" or
"Disabled" or something.

Note that this means that when you shut down your computer from Linux
(or any other OS), it probably won't actually power down, and you'll
need to wait for Linux to shut down and then hit the power switch
yourself.

-Mary