[prog] Choice of cross-platform language and GUI toolkit / IDE

Andrea Landaker qirien at icecavern.net
Thu Jan 30 09:23:29 EST 2003

> I'm wanting to start creating some cross-platform programs, mostly database
> systems with GUI (non-HTML) frontends.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with programming cross-platform GUIs,
but here's some information from me and my husband that might be useful.

Java will be slow, and it will use lots of memory (comparatively speaking, of
course), but it is definitely one of the easiest platforms to use
cross-platform, since that's what it's made to do.  :-)  I've never found
Swing really easy to use, though -- it's kind of buggy.

KDevelop has a feel and features similar to the MSVisual C++, and QTDesigner
is a really good GUI creator, if you're using QT (it creates the code in C++
of course, but you could call that from a Ruby or Python program).  However,
be aware that creating the Windows binaries will involve downloading QT's
special plug-in that only works with MS Visual C++ 6.0, I think.  Also, some
of QT's tools are not free - the MacOS ones, for example (although you could
always just require them to run it under X, which comes with OSX, but then it
won't look like a native Mac program).  QT also has lots of nice database
libraries and things.

You might also want to look at FOX (http://www.fox-toolkit.org) -- it's in
C++, but it's designed to be used with Python or Ruby, too.  It's pretty
lightweight, though, which can be good or bad depending on what you want.

One thing to note about wxWindows is that it does use GTK under Unix, and if
you don't like the way GTK looks, you might not like that.

If you're doing anything at all remotely related to databases, you might want
to look at TOra (http://www.globecom.se/tora/).  It's a great database
administration tool that is cross-platform and open source (and a good
example of a successful, professional-looking cross-platform program).

I hope this helps you!

--
Andrea Landaker
qirien at icecavern.net