[prog] validate input

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Mon Dec 22 19:53:43 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 12:23, wolf wrote:
> Also, if there's
> a way to improve the comments, or if the indentation is incorrect,
> please feel free to point that out as well.  I'd like to break
> any bad habits at the beginning.  Thanks : )

Here, include a comment stating what the program is trying to achieve,
how to use it, and who wrote it, when, and for what company (if any).

> #include <iostream>
>
> using std::cout;
> using std::cin;
> using std::endl;
>

> int main()
>
> {
>
> 	// initialize

Initialise what? What is each variable for? Where is it used?

>      int passes = 0;
> 	int failures = 0;
>
> 	int studentCounter =1;
>

> 	int result;
>

> 	//  10 students

Ten students what? Why are there ten students? What are they doing? Why
do we care?

> 	while ( studentCounter <= 10 ) {
>

> 		cout << "Enter result (1 = pass, 2 = fail): ";
> 		cin >> result;
>
> 		if ( result == 1
> 			 )

What is this if statement (or set of statements) for?

> 			passes = passes + 1;
> 		else

I'm not sure if you have 'elseif' as a specific command, if so, use it
and check if the result is 2.
Otherwise, embed a second if.

> 			failures = failures + 1;

Else, if the result is neither 1 nor 2, print your error.

> 		studentCounter = studentCounter +1;
> 	}

What's this bit of code for? It's worth putting in comments announcing
each major change in code purpose. Announce initialisations, and the
purposes of variables. Announce when you're in the part that does
calculations. And here, announce that you're in the output.

> 	cout << "Passed " << passes << endl;
> 	cout << "Failed " << failures << endl;

Why do we raise tuition at 8?

> 	if (passes >= 8)
> 		cout << "Raise Tuition " << endl;
>
> 		return 0;
>
> 	}

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/