[prog] Re: bind variables (was: PHP script security)

Wolfgang Petzold petzold at villa-chaos.de
Wed Aug 20 08:37:14 EST 2003

Cynthia Kiser, 18.08.03:

> Just out of curiosity, do other databases have bind variables? or is
> that yet another Oracleism?

I just did a little search over the MySQL and PostgreSQL web pages.

With PostgreSQL I didn't find a suiting explanation, although in some
developer messages and source files there were a lot of hits to "cache"
and "query" very close to one another in variable names... so I guess
PostgreSQL can cache queries.

As for MySQL, they explain they have a "new query cache" with version 4.0,
so obviously MySQL can cache queries with 4.0.x and I suppose it could
--in some kind of "older" way-- in 3.23.x.

I think I would be astonished if the "heavy weight databases" like DB/2 or
(well... what other database systems are there?) didn't support query
caching; on the other hand, you never know... ;-)

Cheers
Wolfgang