[prog] Java Swing

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Mon Aug 18 12:22:44 EST 2003

>Has anybody used Java Swing, and if so what do you think about it?

I have some familiarity with Swing. My wife likes it a lot. You can create
a very nice interface in a short time, and of course it's
platform-independent. It's pretty heavy, though (takes a lot of processor
time and memory).

>Is there a book that you would recomend on Swing.

I can't recommend any.

>   I am considering it for use with Soem
>Graphics programming, and I would be using Java 3D.  (Assuming I can get them
>to work together!)

You might also consider gl4java:
    http://www.jausoft.com/gl4java.html
My wife has used it a good amount, and she likes it. It's a straight port
of OpenGL, so of course it's best for people that have already used OpenGL.

There's also a JavaGL, but I don't know enough to say if it's any good.

--
  Marc Ewing had a reputation for being able to fix any computer
  problem at his college. He always wore a red baseball cap on campus,