[prog] [C] strings bug

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Apr 12 10:49:26 EST 2003

> I wasn't trying to imply that we weren't in this state before.  My intent
> was to ask, how did we get ourselves into this state, when no other
> profession has this same problem?

Again, I disagree with the premise.  :)  I think the automobile is a
good example.  Prior to the assembly line, automobiles were made by
independent artisans; parts were gratuitously incompatible, even between
cars from the same manufacturer.  It wasn't until Ford came along with
the assembly line that automobiles became standardized enough to allow
interchangeable parts, third-party accessories, etc.

I think that this sort of brokenness is pretty common in young
industries.  As such, it doesn't really surprise me that the software
field has the problem.

I fully agree that the brokenness of tools is a _huge_ problem.  I just
don't think the software field is unique.  :)

--
Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>