[prog] [C] strings bug

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Apr 11 20:40:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Akkana Peck wrote:
>Not only that, but if you're worried about portability, do be aware that
>you can't rely on all compilers to behave this way.  I've fixed lots of
>bugs in projects that were caused due to programmers assuming auto-
>initialization of variables, and they didn't bother to test on all the
>platforms supported by the project.  Bugs like that take a lot of time
>to track down.  Why not be safe, and just add the explicit "= 0"?

This brings up an interesting issue.  How did the software engineering
profession get into a state where broken tools are an accepted condition
of everyday life?  I've worked with many people who use broken tools and
they seem to accept it as part of their job.  They do complain a lot, but
they don't lift a finger to change the situation.  Why is that?  Is it
because it's easier to just work-around the problems?  Watching my
co-worker's struggle and frustration doesn't make it look like it's any
easier.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org