[prog] Re: Programming digest, Vol 1 #4 - programming question

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Tue Sep 17 20:11:11 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 13:27, programming-request at linuxchix.org wrote:

> Message: 1
> From: "Nancy Ging" <turtle at camano.net>
> To: <programming at linuxchix.org>
> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 14:47:59 -0700
> Subject: [prog] Programming Question
>
> Hi, all--
>
> I'm doing some work for a nonprofit. Here's the puzzle I'm trying to solve.
>
> We'd like to have people be able to come to the site, enter their contact
> information, and have emails automatically sent to their congressional
> representatives for them. The problem is that about 70% of congresspeople
> only accept email submitted through their web sites with the email address
> hidden away in the script.
>
> I could programmatically simulate a form submission, but that will almost
> certainly run into referer limitations in their script.
>
> I know this can be done, because other sites are doing it. Does anyone have
> suggestions about how it can be accomplished? Can I work it through lynx
> somehow?
>
> Perl and PHP are the languages I'm hoping to use.

Nancy, what about looking at how the Electronic Freedom Foundation does
their site?  You go to this page:
http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp and sign in to your Personal
Action Center.  Then you can send an email to your government
representatives.  They have it set up so the emails go to the right
people.  I'm not clever enough to know how they do it, but if "viewing
source" doesn't answer your question (or you don't want to sign up just
to see how they do it!), maybe their webmaster would share the
information.

Cheers,

Malke
--