On learning specifics (Re: [prog] On Perl)

Hemingway, Neil neil.hemingway at barclays.co.uk
Tue Oct 15 09:14:11 EST 2002

> Frankly, what I personally care about professionally is whether the
> person knows how to program, whether they know how to learn, and whether
> they care about professionalism.

I could not agree more

> If they only have the second two, I'd gladly take them in as a
> paratechnical person and teach them programming.

I've often described the third attribute as "the right attitude".  I
strongly believe that if someone has the ability and attitude, you can
teach them anything, and they will be useful to your organisation for
many years to come.  Conversely, if they have the right skills for what
you want "right now", but not the right attitude, then they will
cause you no end of grief.

> But those are -MY- quirks as a programmer. Other people will have
> different quirks, priorities, and definitions of 'professional'. :)

What I am constantly amazed by is the fact that organizations routinely
ignore this fact and simply go for people with the skills they need _now_.
They give no thought to the future.

Do other people see this or this it simply my jaundiced view?

Regards, Neil

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group
does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.
Although the Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not
accept responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by
viruses being passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Barclays
Group.  Replies to this email may be monitored by the Barclays Group
for operational or business reasons.