[prog] How to Send HTML message to Konqueror web browser....

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Wed Oct 9 05:59:12 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 05:45, meredydd at everybuddy.com wrote:
> Whoops, resend from corerect email addy:
>
> To be fair, HTTP is very little more than just throwing HTML at the browser
> - IMHO the RFC is overkill - just get an Ethereal "Follow TCP stream" dump
> of a web connection, or telnet in yourself (eg "telnet www.google.com 80" -
> you get a raw interface to the server). It takes very little time to get
> used to, and while I consider finding information buried in RFCs a useful
> skill to master, it's one I haven't gotten very good at, so i tend to
> prefer "suck it and see". Also gives you good practice at
> reverse-engineering :-P

(ahem)

Speaking as a professional programmer, when writing to protocols:

* always accept the greatest variation in the protocol you can.
* always send the strictest to-the-protocol code you can while still
getting the job done.

Any other policy leads to code that breaks in unexpected ways.

I rant and scream and yell at code that doesn't follow the protocols and
standards, so I make sure to do my best to see that MY code follows
protocols and standards.

(personal opinion)
IMHO, if you write 'suck it and see' code, you don't have a moral leg to
stand on when you can't read a web page, play a game, or access a server
because their coders didn't follow the standard.....
(/opinion)

Learn to read the RFCs. :)

In my opinion, it's one of the things that separates a professional
attitude from an amateur attitude.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/