[prog] RedHat Linux and a lack of proper kernel headers

Rebecca Erwin rlerwin at fastertechnology.com
Wed Oct 2 15:21:48 EST 2002

I'm just starting to work with Linux and my first project is to write a
driver for a PCI device.  I have been following the O'Reilly book and
trying to compile code, but have already reached a brick wall.  Looking at
pci.h in the /usr/include/linux/ directory I see that RedHat has yanked out
all of the kernel programming specific code.  Has anyone else run afoul of
this, and, if so, how did you fix it?  Currently I'm working on setting up
the Linux Chix version of Linux on a separate partition and will start
programming in that environment when I'm done.  However, I just wanted to
know if anyone else has had a problem with RedHat and if there is an easy
fix I'm not seeing.