[prog] School problem, C++ and cout.precision(2);

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sat Nov 23 21:02:30 EST 2002

> How many people use C++ completely ?

Everyday since 1988 or so.

> Actually very few. Is it worth
> learning Templates and other advanced C++ features ?

IMHO, yes.  They were well worth it even when portable template
instantiation in shared libraries was well, shall we say, adventerous,

> I believe C++ comes with its own classes for implementing stacks, hashes
> and other data structures. Does anybody use them ?

All the time.  Standard C++ has a fairly rich set of containers and more
importantly algorithms.

> I personally do not like streams. Its more trouble than ease. And, I
> love strongly typed languages (you can call PHP an exception ;-))

No way, iostreams are fantastic.  I have various classes that inherit from
iostreams for debugging, error logging, etc. and can print any object to
them that has defined that appropriate "ostream &operator << (ostream &,
const T &)" defined.  printf() and friends drives me nuts. Forget a format
specifier or get one wrong and the debug statement causes the program the
core.

--
Kathryn