[prog] Including entities in DocBook

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Thu Nov 21 14:47:39 EST 2002

Thanks for your help.

I don't care to change the DTD because if I do that, it's not DocBook anymore.

>   <!ENTITY % my-entities SYSTEM "/dtd/foo.dtd">

How does this work? I suppose that the contents of /dtd/foo.dtd would be
<!ENTITY> definitions, but how do I inclulde them? That is, do I include
them like this: &my-entities;? Do I include them inside or outside the
<!DOCTYPE[...]> statement? Or is the <!ENTITY> tag sufficient by itself?

Jenn, thanks for your suggestion. The point was to have several different
documents (i.e., each beginning with its own <!DOCTYPE>) that share a big
list of entities. However, it looks like DocBook was designed with a
"single universe" mentality, i.e., put everything into one humongous
document, in the form of a <Set> if necessary. That may be the best
solution, but if I do that can I still generate separate documents (in HTML
or PDF) containing only the <Article> or <Book> that I want? Sure, I know
it's possible, but can I do it easily?