[prog] questions, what is a turing machine

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 30 00:38:56 EST 2002

A Turing Machine is a theoretical computer that can carry out any symbol
manipulation, that is it can compute any reasoning that can be represented by
symbols.  (a Turing machine has unlimited memory etc)

Invented by a Mathematician called Alan Turing in the early 20th century.

The argument goes that any reasoning can be represented by symbols, and any
symbol manipulation can be carried out by a Turing machine.

Computers are based on his idea of a theoretical machine that can "do the
work of the mind".  Actually a Turing machine is more like how we think of a
program than how we think of a computer, ie softwear more than hardware.  So
we would put the emphasis on the softwear part of the Turing machine.

More specifically the computer has the ability to read a paper tape encoded
with zeros and ones, and the machine can be in certain "states".  As it reads
the tape it alters its state based on its initial state and the infomation on
the tape.

I think tat about sums it up.

sue