[prog] Sample implementations of UNIX utilities.

Robert J. Hansen cortana at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 28 12:27:38 EST 2002

> I read a great quote when I was a young teen, and thought it was stupid.
> Now, I see the truth in it. The quote was something like:

It's by Mark Twain.  Although I think the ages in the quote are 16 and
21--you can probably find it in a Google! search.

> I will note that you're both commenting in a very 'this is true' or at
> least 'this is what I believe to be true' style. It's slightly

Well, yes.  :)  If I didn't believe it to be true, I wouldn't be saying
it.

> LinuxChix is intended at least partly as a haven for (a) novices and (b)
> insecure people, so please make a little more effort to flag opinion
> than you would in a more general environment.

For benefit of the list, then--anything I say may be safely considered
as opinion, unless I break out the math to back it up.  Once formal math
gets unleashed, then I'm making assertions about Fundamental Truths of
the Universe.

> people believe. But the novices are doubtless wondering 'what's a Turing
> machine?' and the insecure are probably afraid to say 'yes, but I prefer
> $foo' and even wondering 'am I wrong to prefer $foo?'

If people are wondering what a Turing machine is, they should certainly
ask.  I have yet to see a sincere question which did not deserve a
pleasant and sincere answer.  :)

If people prefer $foo, great, prefer $foo.  It's a free country.
(Unless, of course, you live in some repressive dictatorship where the
government will string you up if you like Perl.)  Hacking is supposed to
be _fun_.  Use what tickles you and don't let anyone harsh your mellow.

> Language preferences are opinion and personal choice, there is no One
> True Way.)

Many people believe Bjarne Stroustrup to be one of the most talented
computer scientists out there today.  His major claim to fame is that he
invented C with Classes, which over the years (and with help from lots
of people worldwide) became C++.  Stroustrup has said, "I would consider
belief in the One True Way to be a childhood disease of programmers, if
it wasn't for the fact that so many adults seem to suffer it."