[prog] Sample implementations of UNIX utilities.

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Tue Dec 24 15:53:46 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 07:33:41PM -0600, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> > I found C quite useful to study when I was an undergraduate, because it

> Oh, I agree it's quite useful to study--but I wouldn't want to make a career
> out of it.  (Tried it, found it grotesquely unpleasant.  We've got perfectly
> good Ocaml and LISP compilers; why oughtn't we use them?)  :)

My favourite acronym for LISP is
Lots of
Irritating
Stupid
Parentheses

which lets you know what I think of *that* language.

If you want something that is fast and portable across a lot of
different architectures, use C/C++.

I'm not going to sing the unmitigated praises of C++ -- if you do
anything significant in your constructors, it becomes write-only code.
(Gah, this just reminded me of the horrible and extremely baffling bug I
left behind when I went on holidays.  I managed to determine that it was
happening in the initialization stage, only when a particular header
file was included, but what is actually *causing* the crash is still a
mystery.)

I write Perl for pleasure. 8-)

Kathryn Andersen